Campus Involvement

From UTC Library
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

How To Get Involved

The new UTC Library will be a campus resource. The Library faculty and staff involved in the planning process need as much input as possible from the UTC campus community. If we don't think of an idea, and you don't tell us, it can't be considered. A concerted effort is being made to communicate with and gather input from the campus community on all levels:

Formal Opportunities

  • Two campus Committees are shaping the direction of the new library building
  • Meeting with specific campus groups (listed below)

Informal Opportunities

  • Student and faculty are asked for input during library instruction classes
  • Student and faculty input from emails, postings, BlackBoard discussions, etc. Click here to see suggestions received from individual members of the University community.

Please don't hesitate to let us know what you think. If you would like to make a suggestion or set-up a discussion group, focus group, or meeting regarding the new library building, please contact Theresa Liedtka at 423-425-4506 or theresa-liedtka@utc.edu

List Of Campus Presentations

The following is list of completed presentations, meetings, and/or discussion on the new library building:

2007

  • Faculty Senate, October 18, 2007: Theresa (TL) presented and took questions/discussed the new library building
  • Graduate Council, October 25, 2007: TL presented and took questions/discussed the new library building
  • Council of Academic Department Heads, October 31, 2007: TL presented and took questions/discussed the new library building. TL offered to meet with any academic department interested in discussing the new building, this invitation was followed up by an email invitation reiterating the same.
  • English Department, November 6, 2007: TL presented and took questions/discussed the new library building
  • Art Department, November 9, 2007: TL presented and took questions/discussed the new library building
  • Communication Department, November 14, 2007: TL presented and took questions/discussed the new library building
  • Open Campus Meeting - all students, faculty, staff invited, November 26, 2007: TL and Janet presented and took questions/discussed the new library building
  • Student Government Association, November 27, 2007: TL presented and took questions/discussed the new library building
  • Information Technology Division, November 28, 2007: TL, Karen Adsit, Monty Wilson, Susan Lazenby, and Charity Trillet. Discussed possible new collaborative opportunities, plan to meet again shortly.
  • Open Campus Meeting - all students, faculty, staff invited, November 29, 2007: TL and Janet presented and took questions/discussed the new library building
  • Auxiliary Services and Facilities, December 4, 2007: TL, JS, Robert Ratchford, Cindee Pulliam, Tom Ellis, Doug Silver, Jason Griffey, Mike Bell, and Virginia Cairns. Discussed preliminary security, facilities, and auxiliary services matters
  • Information Technology Brainstorm, December 11, 2007: TL, Jason Griffey, James Spruill, Andrea Schurr, Charity Trillet, Virginia Cairns, Karen Adsit, Susan Lazenby, Bill Johnson, and Beverly Simmons. Discussed possible technology plans and possible collaborations for the new building.

2008

  • Social Work Department, January 16, 2008: TL and Chris Ryan attended a meeting of the Social Work Department to discuss the new building and library services in general.
  • Library/ITD/Walker Technology Brainstorm continued, January 22, 2008: TL, Andrea Schurr, Virginia Cairns, Karen Adsit, Susan Lazenby, Monty Wilson, Beverly Simmons, Janet Spraker. Continued discussion of Learning Commons as well as overall number of public workstations in areas throughout the Library.
  • Library and Art Storage, January 23, 2008: TL, Steve Cox, Matt Greenwell, Ruth Glover, Nandini Makrandi. Discussed idea of a shared storage space for the University Art Collection in conjunction with the new Special Collections. Also touched on the topics of the presentation of art throughout the new building.
  • Alumni Council, January 24, 2008: TL and Tom Losh met with members of the Alumni Council to discuss the new building process and new building ideas.
  • Open Campus Meeting - all students, faculty, staff invited, January 29, 2008: TL and Janet presented and took questions on the library building.
  • UTC Faculty Senate Library Committee, February 1, 2008: TL and Tom Gavin met with members of the Faculty Senate Library Committee to discuss the new building process and other library matters.
  • Athletics, February 13, 2008: TL met with Vice-Chancellor Rick Hart, UTC coaches, and other members of the division to discuss the new building process.
  • Student Development, February 15, 2008: TL and Janet Spraker met with Vice-Chancellor John Delaney and members of the Student Development staff to discuss the new library building process, the site planning process, and possible avenues of collaboration.
  • Open Campus Meeting - all students, faculty, staff invited, February 27, 2008: TL and Janet met with students and staff members to discuss current project, much of conversation focused on the lack of quiet study space in the current building
  • Graduate Student Association, March 1, 2008: TL meet with the leadership of the Graduate Student Assocation to discuss project. Conversation focused on the proposed graduate lounge, graduate study carrels, 24/7 space, and organization office space.
  • Executive Council, March 5, 2008: TL and Janet met with the Chancellor's Executive Team to review progress to date and receive input on future plans. Received affirmation on current plans, committment to funding a staff position to cover extended late night hours, as well as input on "other" ideas proposed for the new building, including other academic support services.
  • Facilities Planning Committee, March 13, 2008: TL and Janet met with the Campus Facilities Planning Committee to bring them up to date on our progress, discuss any new ideas, and get affirmation to move ahead. We succeed on all three counts!
  • Information Technology, March 20, 2008: TL met with Monty Wilson and other ITD staff in the current UC computer lab, including Help Desk area, to tour and discuss space.
  • Site Planning Charette, March 24, at 10:00: Janet and TL met with representatives from the Chattanooga community, including CARTA, Public Works, Transportation, RiverCity Company, and other to discuss site connectivity issues (vehicle, bike, pedestrian traffic) and surroundings (other buildings, Chamberlain Field), etc.
  • Site Planning Charette, March 24, at 1:00: Janet and TL met with students and faculty to discuss connectivity issues (vehicle, bike, pedestrian traffic) and surroundings (other buildings, Chamberlain Field), etc.
  • UC Foundation Board, March 25, 2008: TL presented a overview of progress to date and fielded questions.
  • Open Campus Meeting - all students, faculty, and staff invited, March 27, 2008: TL and Janet presented an overview of progress to date and fielded questions.
  • Student Success Center, March 27, 2008: TL met with Mary Roland, Director of the Student Success Center to discuss space in the new building
  • Writing Center, March 27, 2008: TL met with Verbie Pervost and Jennifer Beech to discuss space in the new building
  • Open Campus Meeting - all students, faculty, and staff invited, April 21, 2008: TL and Janet presented an overview of progress to date, fielded questions, and general discussion.
  • Cafe Meeting, May 27, 2008: TL, Janet, Cindee Pulliam, and Debbie Parker met with Aramark and Starbuck representatives.
  • IT Conversation, August 15, 2008: TL, Janet, Monty, and Phil met to discuss IT infrastructure.
  • LEED Meeting, September 30, 2008: TL, Janet, Andy R., Jon C, UTC and UT Facilities staff members, and host of architects with experience on LEED projects met for a day to review the site, discuss options, etc.
  • SpaceSaver Demonstration, October 2, 2008: Members of the Internal Library Building Committee and other folks involved in stack maintenance met over lunch to hear a presentation from the SpaceSaver Corporation.
  • New Library Program Statement Committee, October 3, 2008: The final meeting of the NLPSC was held on October 3, 2008.
  • ITD Partnerships, October 17, 2008: TL and Monty met to discuss future working relationshops in the new library.
  • Tours, October 20, 2008: TL toured a group of architects through the current building. Karen A. gave them a tour of Walker.
  • Appalachian State, November 3, 2008: TL, Janet, Jason, Andy and Ray (DHW), Justin (Artech), Tom and Danny (UTC Facilities), John and John (UT Facilities) toured the Appalachian State University's new library (again).
  • Academic Student Support, November 10, 2008: TL and Fran met to discuss possible configurations for the Academic Student Support Center.
  • Academic Student Support, December 2, 2008: TL, Fran, Phil, Janet, and Andy met to discuss configurations for the Academic Student Support Center.
  • Montel Presentation, December 12, 2008: Members of the Internal Library Building Committee and other folks involved in stack maintenance met over lunch to hear a presentation from Montel Corporation on library stacks.

2009

  • SpaceSaver Presentation, February 23, 2009: Members of the Internal Library Building Committee, Facilities, and architect met over lunch to hear a presentation from SpaceSaver Corporation on library stacks.
  • UT System, April 2, 2009: Reviewed plans to date with representatives from UT System, Facilities, Architects.
  • Open Campus Meeting, April 21, 2009: All faculty, staff, and students were invited to attend an open meeting to review and discuss new library plans.
  • Miscellaneous, April 2009: Coordinated review of drawings with non-library residents of the new library, including Walker Teaching Resource Center, Advising, Student Success, Writing Center, Tutoring, Graduate Student Association, Information Technology Division, Southern Writers, and the Art Department.
  • Security, May 8, 2009: TL, Janet, ITD representative, and architects meet with representativs of Stanley Corporation to review possible security installations for new building.
  • Chancellor's Executive Team and UT System, May 22, 2009: TL, Janet, and architects met with members of the Chancellor's Executive Team and representatives from UT System to get approval on schematic drawings.
  • Starbucks and Aramark, July 20, 2009: TL, Cindee Pulliam, and architects met with representatives from the Starbucks and Aramark Corporations.
  • Campus Sustainability Workshop, August 6, 2009: The new library was much discussed at the day long workshop on sustainability.
  • Space Review Meetings: Janet, Ray, Andy, and TL met with all campus departments who will be in the new building to review tentative space allocations, entrances, exits, etc:
    • August 18 - Administrative Spaces
    • August 20 - Instruction and Reference
    • August 24 - Materials Processing
    • August 27 - Information Technology
    • August 28 - Special Collection, Southern Writers, and Art Storage
    • August 28 - Academic Student Success Center
    • August 31 - Access Services
    • September 8 - Walker Teaching Resouces Center
    • September 16 - Copy Services, Graduate Student Association, Auditorium
  • Moving the Library, October 13, 2009: VA, MB, SC, VC, JG, LJ, TL, AS met with Diane Pikul from National Library Relocations to discuss moving the collection into the new building.
  • 50/50, October 15, 2009: TL, JS, UTC facilities reps, architects, meet with the folks from UT system (George, Steve) to review current drawings, timelines, etc.
  • First Bid, October 22, 2009: The first bid for the project, to be move communication duct work and wiring from the site, was opened today and awarded to Lawson Electric. Work will be completed over the December holiday break.
  • Interiors and FFE, October 26, 2009: TL, JS, architects, meet the folks from UT system (Lori) to review initial interior cost estimates and plans.
  • Student Government, November 18, 2009: TL meet with SGA to review interior and exterior plans to date.
  • Moving the Library, November 30, 2009: The Internal Library Building Committee with Robin Stern and Bobbie Gordon from National Relocation Advisors to discuss moving into the new building.
  • Legislative Delegation, December 10, 2009: Chancellor Brown, Provost Oldham, Tom, Janet, and I met with members of the Hamilton County Delegation to bring them up-to-date on the building project.
  • Merck & Hill, December 14, 2009: Members of the ILBC meet with representatives from Merck & Hill to discuss sound issues in the new building...talked about wall construction, doorways, listed to a different range of voices in regards to wait patrons might hear from room to room.
  • December 22, 2009: The second bid for the project, to prepare the site for the foundation, was opened today and awarded to..... Work should hopefully begin by the middle or end of the month of January.

2010

  • January 28, 2010: Official 50/50 meeting with UT System, UTC, and architects.
  • January 29, 2010: Groundbreaking for the new library!
Personal tools