Suggested Readings and Media
From UTC Library
- Council on Library and Information Resources., The Library as Place: Rethinking Roles, Rethinking Space, Washington, D.C., Feburary 2005. - I highly recommend the first article - suggested by Theresa Liedtka
- Estabrook, Leigh, Witt, Evan, and Rainie, Lee. Information Searches that Solve Problems: How People Use the Internet, Libraries, and Government Agencies When They Need Help. Pew Internet and American Life Project, December 30, 2007. - suggested by Theresa Liedtka
- Foote, Stephen., Changes in Library Design: An Architect's Perspective, portal: Libraries and the Academy 4 (1) 2004, 41-59. - Particularily good for the visual learner - suggested by Cheryl Van Mater
- Grafton, Anthony., Future Reading. The New Yorker 83.34 (Nov 5, 2007): 50. - suggested by Mike Bell
- Joint Information System Commitee., Information Behavior of the Researcher of the Future, January 11, 2008. - suggeted by Theresa Liedtka
- Lewis, David W., A Strategy for Academic Libraries in the First Quarter of the 21st Century, College & Research Libraries, 68 (5) September 2007, p. 418-434. - Good, current article - suggested by Theresa Liedtka
- Oblinger, Diana G., Leading the Transition from Classroom to Learning Spaces: an NLII White Paper, EDUCAUSE, October 2004. - suggested by Karen Adsit
- Oblinger, Diana G., Learning Spaces, EDUCAUSE, 2006 - available free online or for purchase in monograph form via Amazon - suggested by Karen Adsit
- Pope, Justin., libraries)+AND+DATE+IS+ July 27 2007 College libraries become the "campus living room," Chattanooga Times Free Press, July 27, 2007, B8. - suggested by Virginia Cairns
- Sinclair, Bryan, Commons 2.0: Library spaces designed for collabortive learning," EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 4, 2007, pgs. 4 - 6. - suggested by Chris Ryan
- Sinclair, Brian, Evolving library space: from learning commons to collaborative learning commons, Electronic Resources & Libraries Conference, Spring 2007, Atlanta, GA - Presentation focusing on student learning needs, design considerations for information commons, links to images from recent library building and renovation projects. suggested by Virginia Cairns.
- National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities - Library Facilities Design, Higher Education: Broad compilation and good for background - suggested by Gavin Townsend
- U.S. Green Building Council: Information about LEED Certification - suggested by Toni Carter
- Designing Better Libraries Blog (Steven Bell): A blog about design thinking and how it applies to library settings - suggested by Toni Carter
- Building Green from Practice to Principle - suggested by Tom Rybolt
- ACRL/LAMA Guide for Planning Higher Education Library Spaces: a mix of great resources, including readings, special library considerations, information on green buildings ,etc. - suggested by Virginia Cairns
- ALA Library Building and Additions: a select annotated bibliography - suggested by Jason Griffey
- Information R/evolution: A phenomenal video that illustrates some of the meta-issues that libraries are dealing with these days. Informative of current library issues and trends.
- A Vision of Students Today: From the same author, a look at students, learning styles, expectations, and more. Informative for anyone looking at the future of academia.
- Fitting Technology Into New Campus Buildings: Technology can be a key component in any building on the campus, but technology experts and other stakeholders are not often involved in early phases of planning. Mark Maves, an architect who has worked with colleges, joins Scott Carlson, a Chronicle reporter, and Warren Arbogast, a technology consultant, to offer advice on campus planning.